Who can tell me the singer, music director and film name/year for this song?
And also: all my fingers, toes and eyes are crossed for good luck at the Oscars tonight, especially for AR Rahman!
The answer is, as the Bollywood Fan (well, a friend of his) and bollyviewer knew: Raj Kapoor singing in the 1947 film Dil Ki Rani, music director was SD Burman composing music for what I believe was his fourth Hindi film.
I thought this evening that it would be nice to visit Hindi film music as it was 62 years ago, and may music forever be a part of Indian films!
Edited to add as the evening goes by:
- Simon Beaufoy wins for Best Adapted Screenplay
- Anthony Dod Mantle for Best Cinematography
- Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke and Resul Pookutty (yay Banno’s batchmate!!!!—who also gave a very sweet acceptance speech) for Best Sound Mixing
- Chris Dickens for Best Film Editing (richly richly deserved, IMO)
- AR Rahman for Best Score! yeah baby! and he said: “Mere paas Maa hai” at the beginning of his speech (how I love him)
- AR Rahman and Gulzar for Best Song “Jai Ho”…Memsaab khush hua (may I add that both of his speeches were short and sweet, just like he is)…
- Danny Boyle for Best Director!!!
- BEST PICTURE!!!!!!!
I’m going to bed now, but I’m very very very proud and happy. Jai ho!